Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March 4- The quilt

A few months ago Joni talked to me about the idea of making a quilt from Gaven's shirts that we had kept in a cedar chest. She said she had a friend who does this for families when a loved one passes away. I was hesitant about the idea because I really could not visualize what this would look like. After thinking about it for a few weeks I decided that this might be o.k. because we really do not see the shirts. I talked to Cindy then we called Joni and I arranged to drop the shirts off at her work.

A month past and Joni and Bob came to our house on the evening of the 4th and presented the finished quilt as we remembered the 10th anniversary of the accident and then his leaving us the next day. The quilt was rolled up with the back side of the quilt only visible. There was a saying attached on the back that read,"Because the one we love is in heaven there's a little bit of heaven stitched in this quilt." We unrolled the quilt and were overcome with emotion of how fantastic this quilt was. I could not imagine how it would turn out but it was great. Each shirt had a memory of an event when we looked at it. It is a priceless gift and I don't know how we could every repay Joni for her thoughts, time and talent. I've included in this entry pictures of some of those shirts that Gaven wore that made up the quilt.






No comments:

Post a Comment