Monday, April 25, 2011

Boston part 4

Monday I had meetings while Cindy and Maddie went shopping and sight seeing. They went to Mike's pastries to get cannolies, and lobster tails. It is a shop on the north end that is always crowded. They then went to see some things near Quincy market. They found some shirts and other things and then came across a Holocaust Memorial. It is six glass pillars that you walk through. Each one is a name of a concentration camp and as you pass through each pillar a mist cloud comes from the ground. As you look up you see numbers written all over the glass. Each tower has a million numbers etched in the glass. There are small exerts from diaries at each pillar of those who had been in those camps and survived. At each end of the walkway is a bucket of stones that you can place on the wall to say you remember. It was a very moving monument.






























While they were doing that I had a mobile workshop that went out to Brookline. One of the places we stopped at was the birthplace of John F. Kennedy. He lived here until he was five. They decorated the rooms according Rose Kennedy's memory and used some of the tings that she had kept such as the baby buggy the baby's would sleep in and in the dining room the plates that had the kids names on them.

















I got back about lunch time and called the girls to see where the were. I ended up taking the subway and meeting them at Quincy market. They showed me the monument and then we had lunch.  After lunch I wanted to get my picture taken on the bench with Red Aurbach. He was a famous Boston Celtic coach and has a statue in the Quincy market area. I told him I could still play but he kept me on the bench.



After lunch it was time to head back to the hotel and then take the girls to the airport. They both had school tomorrow and I still had one more day of conference.  I got them to the airport and then went back to meetings. After the meetings I then had a ticket to a Red Sox game at Fenway park. I was looking forward to going to this storied ballpark. I was going to take the subway to the game but every train that came was full and no room to squeeze in so after four trains I decided to walk. A lot of other people did that too. It was a mile and a half walk  but I made it to the park on time.













My seat was along the right field looking at the green monster. The ball park seats 38,000 so it is small compared to other places but it is fun. They still change the scoreboard of what the other teams are doing by hand between innings.







Near the end of the game a moved to behind the third base as many of the fans had left since the game was a blow out for the other team. I got a good picture of David Ortiz of Big Papi as they call him. He got a triple but he also got thrown out at first on a single to right field. As the people who sat next to said he has two speeds, slow and reverse. After the game on my way home I called Cindy and she had arrived back home safely.

 The next day was more meetings and before I got ready to come home in the evening I went to look at a couple final sights. I went to the Mother Church of the Cristian Scientist which is head quartered in Boston. From there I went over to M.I.T. to see the building designed by Frank Geary. It looks like Toon Town in the middle of a very classy campus and then finally took a picture of Harvard from Harvard Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment